This is a canna with identy issues it can decide if it is going to have red flowers or yellow flowers, bronze foliage or green foliage and any combination of these on the same plant. Canna "Cleopatra" has a strange form of varigation and is called a periclinal chimera, which is a very beautiful and wounderful thing.
Height: 100 - 150cm. Will need to be stored as a rhizome over the winter.
Best grown in a multi purpose compost or fertile soil and fed regularly to promote growth. Make sure that cannas get plenty of water to maintain luxurious growth.
Canna "Cleopatra" rhizome
Cannas are brilliant exotic plants grown for both their flowers and foliage. I treat them as tender plants and store them at about five degrees centigrade for the winter. However I am hearing more and more people are successfully leaving them out for the winter but I guess it depends on the microclimate. The following should be noted regarding their maintenance and appearance:
- Grow in a moist fertile soil either in pots or in the ground.
- Water regularly and feed every couple of weeks when in active growth.
- If growing in a conservatory or heated greenhouse plants will remain evergreen throughout the year and can flower all year round
- If growing outside it is best to plant deep and add a layer of mulch during the winter to protect the roots.
- If you are going to bring them in store at 5 degrees centigrade and dont allow to dry out completly.