Suppled as year old seed raised plants growing in 9cm pots, will flower next year.
A very nice species canna, probably a form of C. indica. relatively short canna with long narrow leaves and bit like Heliconia, topped with Red and yellow flowers.
Height: 50-100cm. Will need to be stored as a rhizome over the winter.
Best grown in a multi purpose compost or fertile soil and fed regularly to promote growth. Make sure that cannas get plenty of water to maintain luxurious growth.
Cannas are brilliant exotic plants grown for both their flowers and foliage. I treat them as tender plants and store them at about five degrees centigrade for the winter. However I am hearing more and more people are successfully leaving them out for the winter but I guess it depends on the microclimate. The following should be noted regarding their maintenance and appearance:
- Grow in a moist fertile soil either in pots or in the ground.
- Water regularly and feed every couple of weeks when in active growth.
- If growing in a conservatory or heated greenhouse plants will remain evergreen throughout the year and can flower all year round
- If growing outside it is best to plant deep and add a layer of mulch during the winter to protect the roots.
- If you are going to bring them in store at 5 degrees centigrade and dont allow to dry out completly.