If you want to turn your garden into a jungle then Canna musifolia is the one for you, with its massive banana like foliage and red/orange flowers. Can grow 3 metres in a season - probably one for the back of the border!
Height: 200 - 300cm. Will need to be stored as a rhizome over the winter.
Best grown in a multi purpose compost or fertile soil and fed regularly to promote growth. Make sure that cannas get plenty of water to maintain luxurious growth. Easy and rewarding plants to grow.
Canna musifolia grand rhizome
Cannas are brilliant exotic plants grown for both their flowers and foliage. I treat them as tender plants and store them at about five degrees centigrade for the winter. However I am hearing more and more people are successfully leaving them out for the winter but I guess it depends on the microclimate. The following should be noted regarding their maintenance and appearance:
- Grow in a moist fertile soil either in pots or in the ground.
- Water regularly and feed every couple of weeks when in active growth.
- If growing in a conservatory or heated greenhouse plants will remain evergreen throughout the year and can flower all year round
- If growing outside it is best to plant deep and add a layer of mulch during the winter to protect the roots.
- If you are going to bring them in store at 5 degrees centigrade and dont allow to dry out completly.