Exotic Ginger Rhizome, very easy to grow and flower. Flowers late July to October. Height: 180-290cm. Best grown in a multi purpose compost or fertile soil and fed regularly to promote growth. Make sure that hedychiums get plenty of water to maintain luxurious growth. Easy, hardy and rewarding plants to grow.
Hedychium forrestii is one of the largest hedychiums with bold glossy foliage and thick pseudostems. A superb architectural addition to any garden. Although it's native to Southeast Asia it's surprisingly hardy and can successfully be cultivated across most of the United Kingdom. Hedychium forrestii is highly recommended for gardeners new to ginger cultivation.
Hedychium forrestii rhizome
Hedychiums are relatives of the root ginger which come form Asia. They are marvellous plants noted for their luxuriant foliage and fantastic tropical flowers. They make excellent conservatory plants and many are root hardy down to at least -10C. The following should be noted regarding their maintenance and appearance:
- Grow in a moist fertile soil either in pots or in the ground.
- Water regularly and feed every couple of weeks when in active growth.
- If growing in a conservatory or heated greenhouse plants will remain evergreen throughout the year and will flower earlier than those grown outside.
- If growing outside it is best to plant deep and add a layer of mulch during the winter to protect the roots.
- The first frosts will kill off most of the foliage.
New growth will re-emerge from the roots in spring.